Friday, June 11, 2010

The Green Line

I exit my apartment door and take the elevator down to the ground level. From there I proceed to the shuttle station, where I hitch a ride from The Castello (where I live) to New Town Plaza (the grossly over-sized mall I discussed earlier). After a stroll through the mall I find that I am at the MTR station (this particular one is called the Sha Tin station). Sha Tin is on the Light Blue Line of the MTR, I need to get to the Green Line.

I push my way through the masses, grab hold of a pole and on the train I am. Past Sha Tin and Tai Wai, Kowloon Tong approaches. I get off the Blue Line at Kowloon Tong, walk across the platform and climb aboard the Green Line. Two of the most enjoyable places that I have ventured to are along this track: Mong Kok and Yau Ma Tei.




I should mention that Mong Kok, according to the Guiness World Records, has the highest population density in the world! 340,000 people per square mile. That fact is staggering. So is walking around. Here is what the street looked like last evening:



Mong Kok means "prosperous corner" in Chinese. This is very appropriate. I have never witnessed more shops, markets, and restaurants anywhere in my short life. Those stereotypical silk Chinese gowns, purses, watches, headphones, jewelry, iPhone cases, etc. all with name brands, and yet a scent of something less than authentic.

Here is another view of Langham place, the central mall of Mong Kok:




Yau Ma Tei lies a couple of stops down from Mong Kok. There is plenty to gaze upon, but here is one of the main attractions of the area, the Jade Market:



A certain little lady that I know might just benefit from my visit here.

That is a taste of what the Green Line serves up on a daily basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment